This plugin allows you to create a community-driven dictionary (similar to the extremely popular UrbanDictionary) for your social networking website . Your members can post their own definitions for terms / words, slangs or ethnic culture words, phrases, and phenomena. Definitions can be rated up/down by others to create a more fun and engaging community.
- ALL of public-facing pages are widgetized, and managable via Layout Editor:
- Powerful built-in widgets with many pre-filter parameters and options so that you can decide where / how things should be shown.
- AJAX word definition preview
- AJAX type-ahead (auto-complete) word search.
- Support customizable fields/questions.
- Definitions can be voted up / down by members (AJAX driven).
- Photo can be attached to a definition.
- Definitions are nicely grouped by term/word.
- Word can be cross-referenced via keywords
- Dictionary browsing style and search for quicker look-up.
- Special icons (Featured / Sponsored) can be assigned to definitions, and be displayed in nicely formatted slideshow, ticker-news.
- Detailed settings, and member level with many permission controls on global, and built-in addons
- Tagging / popular tag cloud.
- Powerful search / filtering / sorting system to show only what user want to see
- Member can view his/her favorite (voted up) definitions
- many more ..
Below are built-in word widgets with a lot of configuration options / settings allowing you to customize the word pages via Layout Editor anyway you like. Click here to see list of widgets in admin
Word General Widgets
You can use these widgets and drop on SE managable pages via Layout Editor such as Home Page, Word Browse Page etc..
- Alphabet: Displays a list of alphabet characters, supports option to link to different pages.
- Post New Word: Displays a quick navigation link to post new word
- Word Edit - Info: Displays word info block on editing pages
- Word Edit - Menu: Displays word edit menu navigation links on editing pages
- Featured Words: Displays slideshow of featured words with different filtering options (wide mode)
- List Word Definitions: Displays a list of posted words with different filtering options (can be used to build variety of word listings such as Recent Words, Most Commented by XYZ user with specified keyword etc..)
- Title Header
- Max Entry (control number of entries to be displayed)
- Sorting (varieties of ordering, such as rating, recent, alphabet, most voted/commented/viewed etc..)
- Time Period (limit entries submitted within defined period, such as 24 hours, weekly, monthly etc..)
- User (limit entries created by specific user)
- Keywords (limit entries match certain keywords)
- Featured (only show featured words)
- Sponsored (only show sponsored words)
- Display Output (control what to show: photo, details, meta, description, keywords, example etc..)
- Menu Top Navigation: Displays a word main menu navigation (Dictionary, Popular, Definitions, My Words, Post New Word).
- Popular Tags: Displays word popular tags.
- Popular Words: Displays word popular terms.
- Profile - Nearby Words: Displays a word's nearby words (by tags) on its profile.
- Profile - Related Words: Displays a word's related words (by tags) on its profile.
- Search Definitions: Displays search word definitions form.
- Search Word: Displays search single word term form.
- Social Shares: Displays a word's social shares such as Facebook, Twitter, Digg using AddThis service.
- Sponsored Words: Displays ticker-news of sponsored words with different filtering options (side bar)
- Top Submitters: Displays list of top word's submitters
- Top Voters: Displays list of top word's voters
- Member Profile Words: Displays a member's words on their profile. It also supports displaying words that are created by specific page/subject owner, example: when use this widget on Group Profile page, and config User=OWNER mode, it would shows words created by the group owner. If you set User=VIEWER mode, then the widget will displays words created by current logged in member.
- Support many settings / parameters similar to List Words widget above
- Two user's filtering mode: OWNER (word's created by owner of the current viewing page) and VIEWER (word's created by the current active logged in member)
Global Settings / Manage Words
- Easy to browse / search submitted words using search / filter form
- Mark words as featured / sponsored (icons)
- Mass delete words
- Define number of terms to show on browse page
- Define number of definitions to show on browse page
Member Level Settings
- Granularity and detailed permission control
- Permission to view: no, yes and for owner only, all words
- Permission to create: no, yes
- Permission to edit: no, owner only, all words
- Permission to delete: no, owner only, all words
- Permission to comment: no, owner only, all words
- Privacy options for commenting, manage/edit words
- Ability to limit number of words a member can post
- Allow to add additional fields/questions to word submission form
- Control customized fields to be searchable, displayable.
For demonstration purposes, we have turned off some options / features on purpose to prevent abuse. We strongly recommend you to create a test account on our demo site to have full test-drive experience.
Below are sample screenshots for plugin's front-end and admin control panel.
- Layout Editor (sample selected pages screenshots)
- Widgets (sample selected widget screenshots)